You’re a writer. You’re probably a sh*t hot one, too.
But it doesn’t make you a copywriter.
Sure – no doubt about it – natural writing skills are a big part of making it as a successful copywriter.
However, copywriting is as much about science as it is about art.
You need to learn proven formulas that compel, convince, and convert customers.
You have to know how to use psychological techniques to dig deep into your audience’s desires.
And you need to discover how to perfectly blend these techniques with your natural writing skills.
The problem is, the world of copywriting can be a complex and murky one if you haven’t a clue where to start.
Luckily, there are a whole host of online copywriting courses which will help you learn the tricks of the trade, learn the ins and outs of running a copywriting business, and build a winning copywriter portfolio along the way.
WHY TAKE A COPYWRITING COURSE?
The internet is swamped with information on copywriting.
But it’s in bits and pieces. A blog post here, a follow-up blog post there. With information dotted around like that, it’s nearly impossible to know whether you’re covering everything.
And even if you do manage to spend a ton of time combing the internet for actual valuable articles with actual accurate information, you most likely still won’t come away with the full picture.
To give you the best chance of success, you need to find a value-packed copywriting course that’s geared towards getting you up and running.
Here’s why you need a course:
- Copywriting goes hand in hand with marketing. This means you need to have a thorough understanding of marketing and how it applies to copywriting.
- Copywriting is a BIG area. And the techniques that apply will vary depending on the purpose of the copy you’re writing. A copywriting course will delve deep into the techniques so you can be sure you’re using them correctly for the copy you’re creating.
- You need to trust the educational material. Anyone can knock up a blog post about copywriting, but with a copywriting course you can suss out their credentials and accreditations so you can feel confident about the source you’re learning from.
But where to start?
You’ve come to the right place. We’ve pulled together a list of the best copywriting courses out there, so you can make an informed decision…and kick-start your copywriting career as soon as possible.
Here are the 10 best copywriting courses out there
Are you looking to focus on B2B and SEO content? If so, then Success Works could be the course for you. They have the hefty title of being the first-ever agency to specialise in SEO and happen to be the founders of the first SEO Copywriting Certification program, way back in 2010.
It will focus on skill writing for web and social media, centring on keyword research, persuasive copy that converts and importantly, measuring success. It’s run by Heather Lloyd-Martin, who is hailed by Forbes as ‘the pioneer of SEO copywriting’.
The Promise: This course will help you take command of all things SEO copywriting. You’ll learn to optimise pages the correct way, write high-positioning copy and improve search visibility.
The Length: A manageable 3 months.
The Location: Wherever you may be – it’s completely online.
The Qualification: SEO Copywriting Certification Program.
The Cost: $995.
- It’s founded by an SEO expert
- You can complete it online, so it’s super flexible
- You will learn all things SEO and writing for web
- You will only learn about SEO-geared copywriting. Areas like branding and marketing won’t be covered (and they’re pretty important!)
- It’s costly – almost a grand for 3 months is a hefty sum
We couldn’t let this post slide without giving our very own TCC Academy a mention. We’ve spent years honing our copywriting knowledge, so we thought it would be rude not to share it with the world.
The Promise: The Copywriting Kickstarter Course takes budding copywriters through the whole ‘getting started’ journey. No more combing the internet for ‘how-to’ blog posts, you will have everything you need by the end of the course. From marketing fundamentals to advanced copywriting techniques, to book-keeping and invoicing to winning gigs, you’ll be ready to take your freelance copywriting business into the world.
The Length: It’s self-paced learning, so we’ll leave that up to you.
The Location: Wherever you reside in the world.
The Qualification: You’ll come away with a certificate of graduation.
The Cost: $290
- You’ll truly learn everything you need to know about freelance copywriting from the ground up
- It’s great value for money and you could see the ROI come in with your first copywriting gig
- It’s self-paced and flexible, so no need to rush the course
- You get free access to a community of like-minded budding copywriters, where you can share experiences, get a ton of extra valuable content and get feedback from the copywriting pros
- Those who want to always adhere to deadlines might prefer a course with stricter rules in place
The ‘IDM Award in Digital Copywriting’ is an in-depth delve into the psychology of copywriting for web. It looks at how writers can use emotional drivers to motivate people and how to master the art of persuasion across all channels.
As one of the premier marketing institutes in the UK, this course has access to the most experienced tutors in the business, and the prestigious IDM stamp of approval.
The Promise: By the end of the course you’ll understand and apply the advanced techniques and drivers that help you plan, write and review copy that really engages, persuades and sells – whatever the medium.
The Length: A 2 day, face-face session that’s jam-packed to say the least.
The Location: Central London and Edinburgh.
The Qualification: You come away with 7 CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours. CPD is part of a programme across multi-industries and educational institutions that lets students relax in the knowledge that the course has the gold star stamp of approval in terms of structure and content.
The Cost: £1125
- IDM are a prestigious name so you can put your trust in their teachings
- You earn CPD points which can be put towards other qualifications
- This is currently being delivered digitally, so those wanting face-to-face learning won’t be able to take this right away.
- It’s expensive for 2 days. It’s tricky (impossible) to learn everything you need to know in that amount of time.
CIM (The Chartered Institute of Marketing) is one of the most reputable marketing bodies in the UK, and they offer a Copywriting Masterclass. It covers a wide breadth of topics with best-of-class trainers, quality delivery and small class sizes.
The Promise: The masterclass will teach you advanced copywriting techniques that help marketers achieve tangible cut-through in today’s competitive landscape: covering tone; content; mediums; audiences; copy-stream management and more.
The Length: A two-day masterclass.
The Location: London (UK).
The Qualification: A CIM Certificate in Copywriting. CIM are a recognised and trusted marketing industry awarding body in the UK.
The Cost: £1315
- CIM is always at the helm of marketing knowledge across the board, so you will be getting the most up to date materials
- It covers a breadth of topics, including marketing know-how
- Again, it’s expensive for 2 day’s of learning
- You will struggle to get a comprehensive understanding of all the tips, tricks and techniques you need to be a successful copywriter
Old hands at the whole marketing and advertising game, eMarketeers.com are experts at helping you get your foot firmly on the copywriting ladder.
There’s a wide choice of options, but their ‘Writing for the Web’ course is the one for those of you who want to progress in the digital world.
The Promise: They promise to demystify ‘online techno-babble’ – so it’s a perfect fit with anyone who doesn’t want to spend a lifetime slogging through jargon. You’ll come away knowing research-based best practice that has been shown to improve web page and email marketing performance by over 100%.
The Length: A value-packed one-dayer.
The Location: London
The Qualification: A ‘Certificate in Copywriting’, so although not a recognised awarding body, it will still be impressive to employers.
The Cost: £499.
- You’ll be an expert at writing for the web
- The entire course is based on research and stats, so you can have confidence that you’re getting the most current information
- Web copy is only one string to a copywriter’s bow – why limit yourself?
- £499 for a one day course is super expensive…and your copywriting knowledge will be minimal
AWAI’s ‘Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting Course’ holds an alluring promise and comes from the brain of one of the most hugely successful copywriters, Mark Ford (pen name Michael Masterson).
The Promise: You’ll walk away from this a practising copywriter with a winning portfolio. Not only that, you’ll be fully versed in direct response copywriting and will be an insider to all the trade secrets to creating lucrative, persuasive sales copy.
It’s essentially a mammoth course handbook, full of copywriting treasures. You have access to tutors who will talk you through the book, but you can take it at your own pace. You’ll also have to get involved with two written assignments that receive critique and tips from the experts.
The Length: This depends on you, really. You can steam through this course, or take it slowly.
The Location: Anywhere, it’s all carried out online.
The Qualification: Not officially accredited, although through the roof on professional knowledge.
The Cost: $495
- It’s fairly comprehensive on techniques. But you don’t get advice on ‘setting up shop’ and the logistics of running your own freelance copywriting business
- Mark Ford is a renowned copywriter, so learning from him is a big plus point
- You can learn from home at your own pace
- You only get feedback on two assignments
- You don’t have access to a community like-minded peers
This Copywriting course is perfect for those who want to get expert advice straight from the horse’s mouth. All of the tutors on this course are seasoned copywriters themselves, which means you’ll be getting hints and tips about what really works – not just the theory.
You’ll be taken through 11 different interactive assignments, designed to cover different aspects of copywriting. With full email support from an individual tutor and you can be sure you won’t be left stranded if you get stuck
The Promise: You won’t just learn how to become a well-rounded copywriter, you’ll also discover how to run your own freelance business with a focus on searching for and winning jobs.
You’ll also be added to their database of writers with an opportunity to receive actual paid jobs along the way.
The Length: It’s completely flexible time-wise so take it as you come.
The Location: Completely 100% online.
The Qualification: A National Diploma in Copywriting.
The Cost: This varies depending on where you are in the world, but it will be around £500.
- You will get a Diploma at the end for your efforts
- You will learn how to run a freelance business
- You’ll be added to their writer database
- The course isn’t written up in the most digestible way
- You won’t learn how to market yourself as a freelance copywriter
This course comes from experience copywriter, Carmine MasterPierro.
It delves deep into the world of sales conversion copy, which is one of the trickiest areas to master.
The idea behind the course is to work smarter, not harder. So Carmine takes your through the conversion copywriting techniques that will amp up your sales copy, whether it’s social ads, sales letters, landing pages etc.
The Promise: You will learn how to tackle any industry and client and write hard-hitting conversion copy that hike up their sales.
The Length: It’s completely flexible time-wise so take it as you come.
The Location: Online – wherever you may be.
The Qualification: Not officially accredited, but Carmine shares his tried and tested formulas and knowledge.
The Cost: Around $350
- Carmine is a seasoned copywriter, having written for Forbes, Go Daddy and a ton of other glowing credentials
- You will learn how to nail direct response and conversion copywriting
- Each lesson has a task so you can measure your progress along your journey
- You will only learn sales conversion copy, not the other tips and techniques for copywriting across the board
This Professional Copywriting course is aimed at marketing and communications professionals who want to improve their copywriting skills. It takes you through how to understand your audience, getting to grips with branding and corporate identity, how to write effective headers and taglines and writing for different media.
The Promise: You will learn how to merge copywriting skills with your existing marketing knowledge, adding an extra string to your professional bow.
The Length: 1 day course
The Location: Online (for now), but also London and Bristol
The Qualification: Not officially accredited, but will still look great on a CV!
The Cost: Around £345
- It’s great for marketing professionals who already have an understanding of the basics, but want to build on their existing knowledge
- You get telephone support from experienced tutors
- It’s expensive for a day course
- It’s not suitable for writers who are completely new to the world of marketing
- You can’t learn what you need to in one day
This is a comprehensive course with its own budding community of copywriters you can belong to, way after the course has finished.
It takes you through the ins and outs of how to write copy that sells, how to create valuable content and how to become a copywriter in the real world.
The Promise: You will learn how to ‘communicate better at scale’. It contains all the training the company has ever made in one big format – so it’s pretty comprehensive. It also has a full community where your copy is reviewed by professional copywriters.
The Length: However long it takes you!
The Location: All learning is carried out online.
The Qualification: A formal ‘copywriting course certification, with a stamp of approval you can use on your own marketing materials.
The Cost: A subscription based model with options of $291 per 3 months, or $750 per year.
- It covers a vast area of copywriting, including emails, sales copy and ad copy
- You get access to a copywriting community
- Your questions are answered throughout the course as well as your copy reviewed
- The course in’t written in a digestible way
- You won’t learn the full breadth or marketing and branding fundamentals
There you have it – a comprehensive list of the best copywriting courses in the lands. But make sure you know exactly which one is right for you before you take the plunge.
If you’re new to the copywriting game, or specialise in one area and not sure where to expand your horizons, it’s worth checking out our post ‘The Best Tool for the Job: Which Copywriter Do You Need?’
Although aimed at your potential employers, it gives a pretty handy breakdown of the different types of copywriter you could become.
Got any burning questions? Pop ’em in the comments below and we’ll have a digital chinwag.